Check availability

Check availability

The farm has been in the Smith family for 80 plus years and sits on approximately 500 acres. Originally run by John Smith, then by his son Peter, and now grandson Robert has taken over the reigns (or the tractor!!).

The building was constructed in the 1950’s to house pigs (hence the name!) and then chickens. Once these endeavours ended it then became used to service farm vehicles but was eventually too small. After being empty for a number of years it was rented to a chap who very beautifully refurbished canal and narrow boats.

The boat man sensibly decided to move closer to the water and although the piggery had become very run down, the location and position lent itself well to a more social setting. After a few meetings with the planners, in 2011 it was converted into bed and breakfast accommodation which suits it down to the ground. The addition of two yurts in 2014 have been a successful addition to the accommodation offered. The Old Piggery is proving to be hugely popular, with many guests returning again and again!

Robert continues to run West Park Farm and his wife Rachel’s operates The Old Piggery, each business supporting the other. Their sons occasionally pop in for a bacon sandwich or to raid the cookie tin – and sometimes even do the odd spot of work!!

Never knowing quite what life is going to throw at you, there continues to be exciting opportunities presented and hopefully the The Old Piggery and West Park Farm will keep on moving with the times!

Registered address: JA Smith & Co, Westwood House, West Park Farm, Haynes, Bedford MR45 3RB © theoldpiggery